As part of STEM week Year 5 were set The Egg Move Challenge. This exercise encourages the children to hone their problem solving and communication skills. Demonstrating an understanding of how to use a variety of materials, practically learning about forces, using estimation and prediction are just some of the benefits of engaging in this kind of task. Why not have a go at creating your own contraption at home?
CHALLENGER BRIEF: Your team must design and build a product/contraption to move an egg from point A to point B.
Teams will be provided with a selection of scrap and resources to build their product.
You have a total of 30 minutes to plan and build your product.
RULES: The designs must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum of 2 people per team, maximum of 4
- Your product must be freestanding (not requiring any support from any person or fixed object, for example not attached to a fence)
- It must be portable
- Only resources provided or foraged can be used for your build
- Team members may not interfere with another team’s build
- The first 10 minutes MUST be spent on planning – NO BUILDING
- You will not be given an egg until your first test run
- If your egg breaks your team will be disqualified
- Egg can be released by a human hand at point A but cannot be caught in the hand at point B
- Points A and B cannot be moved
- If any guidelines are broken, your team will be disqualified from the challenge. GOOD LUCK.
Article 28 – We all have the right to say what we think and be listened to.