Yesterday, the Queen celebrated her official Birthday, she is 94! This week we would like to share the story of ‘The Queen’s Knickers by Nicholas Allan.
In the story, the Queen wears different knickers for every occasion! Can you design a pair of knickers or underpants for a special occasion? Can you write some sentences to describe them.
For example; They are blue. They have big red spots.
Can you make a card for a special occssion? You could make one for the Queen’s Birthday or maybe one for Father’s Day or another special occasion.
Remember to write who it is to and write who it is from. If you are confident in writing your first name you could write your surname too. You could even write a special message inside.
Can you create some different repeating patterns? Can you describe your pattern? Which shapes did you use? Can you describe how your pattern repeats? You could make patterns with buttons; dried pasta painted and threaded onto string or gulued onto paper or using potatoes or dish sponges cut into shapes to print with. You could also make a repeating colour pattern with duplo or lego blocks.
This week we are also working on one more and one less this week. Can you say the number that is one more and one less than a number? You could try with numbers up to 5, 10 or 20.
- Can you design a crown for a king or queen? You could make it from cardboard boxes and other junk modelling materials. You could paint it, cover it in foil or stick interesting items on it.
- Can you find out about the royal family? Where do they live? What are some of their traditions?
- Can you make a flag or a castle? You could make a model or draw or paint one.
- Can you find out when your family’s birthdays are? Who is the oldest and youngest? Do you know your birth date? Can you say the months of the year and days of the week in order?
- Can you learn the Nursery Rhyme ‘The Queen of Hearts’? You could make your own jam tarts.
- Can you read story books about kings and queens, princes and princesses, knights and castles. We would love you to share your favourites with us on Tapestry or email. How many can you think of? You might also like ‘The Royal Nappy’ by Nicholas Allan.
Watch the daily Read Write Inc lessons online and then complete the reading and letter formation activity sheet that goes with each lesson. Click on the link below.
From 1st June:
All lessons will be available at 9.30 am.
Set 1, 2 and 3 Speed Sounds lessons will restart.
Set 2 and 3 Speed Sounds lessons will include new words for reading and spelling.
The Read Write Inc Lesson schedule for the next few weeks can be found here:
Accompanying activities, worksheets and speed sound books can be found here as well as home reading books and free Read Write Inc E-books.
We hope you enjoy trying out some of these ideas this week. We would like to see your photos on Tapestry, or you can email us at: [email protected]
Miss Hawley and Miss Bradshaw.