It is essential, where children or household members display one of the COVID-19 symptoms, that the household self-isolates and a PCR test is organised for the symptomatic individual, as soon as possible. IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT A LATERAL FLOW TEST IS NOT USED. These tests are for adults or secondary aged children who do not have symptoms.
The three COVID-19 symptoms are:
If your child has any of these symptoms, you must:
- Keep your child and any siblings at home
- Book a test using this online form or by calling 119
- Notify school immediately (see below to see how to do this)
When you inform school, we will be able to clarify isolation periods and return dates although this should be supported by results from tests that parents/carers organise.
During the Week
If your child or a member of their household has symptoms, please contact the school office to inform them of:
- Who is unwell (a parent may have symptoms and therefore children being self-isolating)
- What their symptoms are and when they began
- When the test has been organised for
Once the test result has been returned, we will need to know the following:
- Confirmation of the positive or negative result (providing us with an email of the message you received)
- If the test is positive for a child, when symptoms started (this allows us to trace close contacts)
Please ensure that the school office is called on 0191 487 6703
Weekend or Holiday Periods
Over these periods, we will require information about symptomatic household members and positive tests so that we can manage the absence period for your child but potentially manage the sharing of information which may lead to close contacts having to self-isolate (e.g. class bubbles and staff members). If your child or a household member becomes symptomatic or receive a positive test result on a weekend or holiday, please message in the Leave a Reply comment box at the bottom of this post detailing:
- Name of adult contacting us
- Phone number to contact the adult on
- Name of child
- Year Group/Class
- Name of person who is having a test/has tested positive
- Date the test was taken and the positive test was received
- Date that symptoms began
Please note that this information will not be seen on the website and will simply be accessed by Mr Malik.
The action taken will depend on various factors and will be implemented after consultation with Public Health England. However, our responsibility will be to inform parents/carers as quickly as possible if a class/bubble needs to self-isolate in order to protect families and the wider community.
This means that contact may happen via text message during weekends and holiday periods. If this happens, it is essential that you follow the guidance.
Having COVID-19 over a holiday period
If your household has been isolating over a holiday period due to COVID-19 symptoms or positive test, you should contact school before your child returns on the first day back so that we can confirm the appropriate period of absence.
Contact can be done via the website as explained above or by phoning school on the first day back from 8.00am.
It is imperative that any child (or adult) with symptoms or a positive test, does not return to school before the 10-day isolation period and that household members (including children) continue to isolate for the full 10 days.
We know that this time is difficult for many reasons but your support and understanding are immensely appreciated in our work to keep our school safe..